How to make easy Vermicelli/semiya payasam/ kheer?

Ingredients:
Vermicelli - 1/2 cup
Milk - 3 cups
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Cashews - few or as needed
Raisins - few or as needed
Cardamom powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Ghee - 1 tablespoon
Salt - a pinch

I am not sure if there are many out there who like to eat desserts as their breakfast. I guess I am not alone this way. But I do and really do eat a lot of desserts as my breakfast, lunch, snack or anytime of the day. I am quite temperamental too, I might not have desserts for few days in a row and then start eating them continuously.  So my graph of eating and making desserts are combination of high and low.
I would not venture out great and difficult desserts for my breakfast, rather choose simple easy ones that shouldn't and wouldn't  take much time. I sometimes (or rather most of the times) become very lazy and this is one such dessert that can be made by anybody. My motto is if I can cook, anybody can.

Enough of me blabbering and onto the dish.

In a small kadai, warm up 1/2 tablespoon and roast the vermicelli till is starts to brown. Keep this aside. In the same pan add the rest of the ghee and roast cashews & raisins and keep it aside.

In a heavy pan warm up the milk and bring it to a boil. Simmer the flame and keep stirring the milk so that it does not get burnt at the bottom. Continue doing this till the milk is reduced to 2/3 of the initial portion. Now add in the roasted vermicelli and cook it for few mins. By the time it cooks, the milk should have reduced to half.

By the time milk is reduced to half, add in the sugar and a pinch of salt. Stir well and let it simmer for some more time till the milk is reduced to 1/3. Finally add in the roasted cashews, raisins and powdered cardamom. Stir well and take it off the heat.

You may enjoy this either hot or cold. I like it in the middle though. 

Comments