MTR Puliogare Powder - Review

Have you even been so desperate to have some home comfort food, after eating hostel's food continuously? If you say "YES", then this is for you.

I never stayed away from my family for my entire life or I never stayed in a hostel or even thought about staying away from my family until I moved to Bangalore. It was a different experience for me. Though I grew up with 2 sisters, yet adjusting with another girl was a bit difficult. Yet some how I managed my stay there. Initially the food seemed different (after having amma's food for years) and that is why may be I liked it. However as days & months past and my often visit back home, came along with my craving to amma's simple rasam sadam at the hostel. I begin to dislike the hostel food and started thinking to prepare my own food. All I had was an electric rice cooker and a kettle.

Since variety rice was always prepared by amma for my school, college and even for offices, I never thought about packed variety rice powder till then. Finally I came across this wonderful and magical world of variety rice powder. To be honest I was very skeptical when I picked up this pack and I must say, I was blown away.

First let me talk about the packaging. MTR Puliogare powder comes in 2 different sizes, a 100 gms pack and a 200 gms pack. The packaging is very simple yet sturdy. The powder comes in a white plastic pack with the company's logo, the variant's name in bold black and red letters on the front side. The back side has the date of manufacture, expire date, ingredients list along with the recipe on how to make puliogare. The packaging is quite attractive and it definitely grabs your attention amidst other brand's puliogare powders.

Coming to the contents of the pack. It contains dark brown powder coarsely ground powder with visible peanuts. It seemed a no fuss mix. You can definitely smell red chili and tamarind in it.

All I had to do is to run down to the hostel's kitchen with my small kadai, warm up the oil and then saute the puliogare powder and run back to my room. Mix the cooked rice and my comfort food was ready. I shared it with a couple of my hostel mates and they started preparing their own. I even started packing lunch to office with these variety rice powders. Thanks especially to MTR who opened the doors to great Indian comfort food, when we are away from families.

You may purchase MTR Puliogare powder here.

Another important thing to mention about MTR Puliogare powder is that it is preservatives free.

As per the instructions given in the pack and on their site. Warm up 2 1/2 teaspoon of oil (I generally prefer sesame/gingely oil for puliogare, as it tastes better) and add 4 teaspoon of MTR Puliogare powder. Saute this for a few minutes at low flame, ensuring not to burn the powder. Add 500-600 gms of cooked rice and mix thoroughly. Tada, your delicious puliogare is ready.

Comments