How to make basic sponge milk cake?

Ingredients:
Egg - 1
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Maida/Plain flour - 1/2 cup
Vanilla extract - 1/2 teaspoon
Milk - 1/2 cup
Butter - 1/2 teaspoon
Salt - a pinch
Chocolate syrup - 1 tablespoon  (optional)

I owe all my baking skills and some of my dishes to Stephanie Jaworski from www.joyofbaking.com. She is the best when you want classic dishes. She is wonderful in the way she explains every aspect of the dish and I was drawn to her so much for her metric conversions for everything. In fact my first cake dish was her simple chocolate cake. Since I that was my first time baking, I did not understand how much the cake would rise or how deep my baking tray should be. It was a disaster, however when I split the cake batter in 2 separate baking trays, the cake came out so yummy.

This was her latest cake dish on the channel and I immediately tried it out. Infact I made 2 batches, the first one identical to what Stephanie had made and the next was with my own twist. Both came out so so yummy that I could not resist to log it in my blog. I always portion my ingredients into half of what she uses. Because my oven is tiny and I do not want to make multiple batches. This has some times lead me to disaster, but it has been good most of the time.

Pre heat your oven to 180 degree C.

I do not own a hand mixer or a stand mixer, yet the cake came out so soft and fluffy. All you had to do is to mix egg and sugar so well that they a little frothy and pale yellow in color. It took about 3-4 mins for me to do so by hand.

In a small pan boil milk along with butter and keep it aside. Do not let it cool down.

Now sieve plain flour, baking powder and salt into the egg and sugar mixture. Gently fold the flour in so that all of the dry ingredients are absorbed by the egg mixture. Once the dry ingredients are well incorporated, pour in the milk and butter liquid. Stir well so that batter loosens a bit.

Now choose an appropriate baking tray according to your oven and either butter or oil the surface. Dust the oiled baking tray with some maida. Pour in the cake batter till half, because this cake would rise well. Bake this cake at 180 degree C for about 20 mins or you may insert a toothpick in the middle of the cake around 15 mins or so to check if its done. If the toothpick comes out clean, you may take the cake out the oven, else leave the cake a bit longer.

Finally once the cake is done, take it out from the oven and leave it on a wire wrack to cool down. This is a very soft, moist and fluffy cake.

The twist that I incorporated in my version is to pour some chocolate sauce after we poured the cake batter in the baking tray. This yielded me yummy marble cake.

This is the basic sponge cake.

 
This is the one with chocolate syrup twist.
 



Comments