How to make basic french toast?

Ingredients:
Brown/White Bread - 4 slices
Sugar - 1 tablespoon
Egg - 2 beaten
Milk - 1/4 cup
Salt - a pinch
Butter/Oil - 2 teaspoons
Chocolate syrup - 1 tablespoon (optional)

I was introduced to French toast during my school days by my uncle who served in Army. Every time I visited his home, this would our breakfast. I never knew its name nor the recipe of how it was made. All I knew was that it always tasted yummy.

This is one of the simplest breakfast that you could make, when you are in a hurry. I make this in 2 different ways and both came out good.

Beat 2 eggs in a bowl large enough to dip our bread slices. Add milk to the beaten eggs and beat a little more so that the milk gets incorporated into the eggs. Add in the sugar and beat till all the sugar gets dissolved in the egg, milk mixture. Add a pinch of salt and mix well. Keep this aside.

I generally prefer brown bread, however you may choose any bread of your choice. Make sure that the bread slices are a bit thick so that they don't break when you dip them in the egg mixture. To make this French toast real authentic, you may choose authentic French loaves too. I like to keep the outer edges of the bread slices, whereas my husband wants it to be trimmed off. So once you have the bread slices ready, lets move on to the next step of making the toasts.

Warm up a frying pan, add in a teaspoon of butter or any oil of your choice or you may skip using either if you use a non stick pan. Now dip the bread slices one by one into the egg mixture so that both the sides are coated with egg evenly. Place the egg coated bread slices onto the warm frying pan. Give this side about 30-45 seconds and flip over. Give the other side about 30 seconds and you may take the toasts off the pan.

The other way of making French toast that I tried is using a toasted. I have the basic open/shut toaster from Prestige. Once the toaster is ready, I carefully place the egg coated bread slices in the toasted and close the lid. This toaster takes about 45 seconds to a minute for cooking the toasts and gives a nice grilled char on the slices.

Your easy French toasts are ready and can be served with any syrup of your choice. I prefer chocolate syrup.

Comments